Monday, November 26, 2007

I Have B.O.!

Box Office that is. Let's see how Hollywood fared this past week.

Rank / Title / Weekend Gross(in mil) / Total Gross(in mil)

1. / Enchanted / 35.30 / 50.0

2. / This Christmas / 18.6 / 27.1

3. / Beowulf / 16.2 / 56.4

4. / Hitman / 13.0 / 21.0

5. / Bee Movie / 12.0 / 112.1

6. / Fred Claus / 10.7 / 53.1

7. / August Rush / 9.4 / 13.3

8. / American Gangster / 9.2 / 115.8

9. / The Mist / 9.1 / 13.0

10. / No Country for Old Men/ 8.1 / 16.6

Thoughts: Well, I'm not too surprised with the showing from Enchanted. Decent reviews, and with the Disney brand, it was bound to do a bang-up job over Thanksgiving. I'm a little wowed by the showing from This Christmas. It wasn't even on my radar two weeks ago and looked like it was kind of dumped in theaters, so good for the little film! Hitman's take is expected; I imagine next week it will see a huge dropoff as all the video game fans have seen it. The biggest shock I see this week is The Mist. A good pedigree and good to excellent reviews and all it can do is scare (yes, a pun) up $13mil over 5 days? I doubt this will hurt Frank Darabont's career, but this might put a hold on big budget horror films for a while. It couldn't even beat out American Gangster, which has been out for a month. I hope No Country for Old Men continues to drum up business, it really is a terrific film, and one I expect to rack up a number of nomination come Oscar time.

Feel free to respond with your own opinions on this week's Box Office Take. Am I right? Wrong? I love talking movies!

No comments: