Monday, January 7, 2008

Back to the B.O.

And I'm back......still looking for a job......but back to posting. and what better way then to look at the Box Office from the past weekend...

Rank/ Title / Weekend Gross / Total Gross

1 / National Treasure: Book of Secrets / 20.2 / 171.0

2 / I Am Legend / 16.4 / 228.7

3 / Juno / 16.2 / 52.0

4 / Alvin and the Chipmunks / 16.0 / 176.7

5 / One Missed Call / 13.5 / 13.5

6 / Charlie Wilson's War / 8.2 / 52.6

7 / P.S. I Love You / 8.0 / 39.4

8 / Water Horse: Tales from the Deep / 6.3 / 30.9

9 / Sweeney Todd / 5.4 / 38.5

10 / Atonement / 5.1 / 19.2

Based on this list...I think I need to invest in a bomb shelter, cause it looks like the Apocalypse is coming. National Treasure 2 is #1 for three weeks in a row and has made $171 mil so far? Ugh....it's this type of boffo numbers for a mediocre film that keeps getting crap made. Let's not forget it was the original film that gave us that horrible reality series Treasure...something or other....a few summers ago. I am Legend is up to $226 mil? Eh.....the first hour was good....but that last half hour so bad, it nearly ruined the film. Still, no denying the drawing power of Will Smith. Though his next one is looking pretty bad, based on the trailer. Juno is up to $52mil....I wasn't too fond of the film....I think it's more of a personal issue than with the film itself. Still, I find Jason Reitman to be a good director, so hopefully this will ensure at least one more film from him. Alvin and the Chipmunks up to $177 mil? Who saw this coming? I've heard it isn't as bad as it sounds, but any film that resorts to a poop joke in the trailer isn't getting me to see it. One Missed Call opens at $13.5 mil? Did people forget that the first movie to open in January is always a steaming pile? People hear how they're going to die from a cell phone message? Wouldn't a text be easier to get? Charlie Wilson's War is not exactly burning up the BO...a bit surprising for a big name movie. Maybe people just hear it's a war film and stay away from it. P.S. I love you.....who cares. Water Horse....title's too long. Sweeney Todd and Atonement. Hopefully, the BO will pick up on these films a bit more, or else we'll have another year where the best picture nominees barely rang up any money. Oh well, maybe some nominations will give them a bump up.

No comments: